At The Ready

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Yikes!

Well, it certainly has been a good long while since I blogged.  I fell off the horse so to speak.  It isn't that I don't have any ideas, I just can't seem to get my fingers to the keyboard.

Way back in May I made a trip to Salt Lake City on the hunt for my great grand father on the Smith side. I took my Mom and Dad.  Mom has an amazing memory and Dad is a good researcher.
The Temple in Salt Lake City, UT

We have been caught up in the search about who are the parents for my grandfather, George E. Smith.  We were confident that his father's name is James A. Smith.  For over a year we believed, perhaps because we wanted to, that his mother's name was Margaret Allen Smith.  Oh, that would have been sweet indeed!
Not a mention of George E. Smith


We had a cemetery in Wisconsin that had both of the above buried there along with many of the Smith family.  It made sense if you were willing to not look at the glaring missteps and failure of the facts to add up.  I could trace that group of Smiths for generations.  All the way back to Scotland.  And then it happened...I read his death certificate again.
Death Certificate

I believe that there is a difference between looking at a document and reading that document.  There it was, Mother's name, drum roll please, Louise unknown.  Louise, not Margaret with all those lovely connections.  Maybe the person giving the information didn't know and made it up or got confused oh well, you get the picture.  I am sure that George's daughter, Regina knew what she was talking about.  For all I know she had met the woman.  I will never know as Regina is gone as is most of my mother's family on the Smith side.

I must admit that at first we were disappointed. Then it dawned on us that we had indeed made a great find.  Stop looking up that dead horses ass.  Move on, put those strangers away and start looking in new and different places.  I admit that I will miss them and all their delightful stories.  But they are NOT my Smiths.  If they are yours then you truly have a wonderful group of ancestors.

~Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment